Cyber Ireland and Munster Technological University have partnered to organise the Student Cybersecurity Hackathon 2024 on Monday Feb 12th and Tuesday 13th 2024, which will address: “Cyber Solutions for a Better World”. This follows the successful Student Cybersecurity Hackathon 2022 – further details here.
Industry will pitch their real cyber security challenges to students, who will have 48 hours to develop a solution and pitch it to the industry judges. This year 10 teams, 50 2nd year students, are expected to participate, who will come from MTU (Cork and Kerry campuses) as well as 9 European Universities as part of the EU INGENIUM Alliance (see details at https://ingenium-university.eu/about-us/partners/).
More information on the Ingenium Alliance can be found here. The students will not only come from IT/Computer Science courses but all disciplines across 2nd year undergraduate courses.
Industry partners are key to the success of the event to have real-world security challenges and your expertise to advise the students..
How does industry participate:
- Setting industry cyber security challenges – Send the top 3 Cybersecurity challenges being faced by your business/in your sector (by 31st January).
- Mentors & Judges – The Student Hackathon will take place in-person on the Bishopstown campus. We need industry representatives to be available on Tuesday morning (13th Feb 2024) to help mentor the student teams. On Tuesday afternoon, industry judges are required to assess the presentations and overall winners. This time commitment may be shared across a few of your colleagues.
- Sponsorship – We are asking partner companies to come on board to sponsor prizes – €500.
- Promotion of your company & logo on MTU marketing materials posted and on the day.
- Support Local – Engage with the student entrepreneurial ecosystem in the region, help to build awareness of cyber security and promote it to students from a broad range of disciplines
- Promote to Europe – The Hackathon will involve 10 Universities from across the EU INGENIUM Alliance.
- It’s going to be a fun event for your staff to give back!